I’m an Eagle Scout but that doesn’t mean I can remember how to tie very many types of knots. After-all, how often do we really have the opportunity to tie a knot? When those opportunities arrive, half the problem is remembering which knot is best suited for the task.
2D pictures are not well suited for teaching anyone how to tie a knot. That is why I really love this Android app, Knots 3D. I found it in the Amazon App Store and I love opening it up and learning about different knots, their applications, and how to tie them. The app features over 80 different knots divided into intuitive categories that make it easy to browse or search. Each knot features the 3D animation of how it is tied, a paragraph about that knot’s usage, other related knots, and the brief history.
The coolest part of the app is the true 3D features. You can flip, spin, and analyze each knot from any angle. Here is a full feature list as provided by the developer.
- Learn to tie 87 unique knots
- Localized knot names listed for: Dutch, French, German, Italian, Korean, Spanish and Russian!
- Rotate knots in 360 degree, 3D views to study them from any angle
- Ability to play/pause knot rendering or adjust the speed of the animation at any time
- Interact with the knot on screen via mult-touch gestures such as pinch-to-zoom and swipe to advance/rewind
- Browse knots by category, type, favorites or view the entire library
- Save favorite knots for quick reference
- Hyperlinks for quick access between related knots
- Completely self contained — No internet or special install permissions required!
- Ad free!